by Kerrie Pierce
Difficulty Level: Advanced
The Naughty or Nice Martini was developed by our Tasting Room Associate Kerrie Pierce for our Winter 2016 tasting room cocktail menu. A key component in this martini is the cranberry shrub. A shrub is a flavored vinegar preparation that was popular in colonial America as a mixer for rum. Naughty or Nice’s color combination is perfect for the holiday season and its sweet and sour flavor profile makes it dangerously easy to go down.
1.5 oz. Vitae Spirits Modern Gin
3/4 oz. cranberry shrub
3/4 oz. orange blossom simple syrup
1 large orange
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups cranberries
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1. Produce orange sugar: Using a peeler remove orange zest in long strips and place in a bowl with sugar. Muddle orange zest with sugar, cover, and then let sit for a minimum of an hour. Remove zest from bowl and discard, while reserving the oily sugar.
2. Juice the orange and set it aside.
3. Add cranberries and vinegar to blender and blend until pureed.
4. Combine cranberry-vinegar mixture, orange juice, and orange sugar in a non-reactive container then allow to steep at room temperature for at least two days.
5. Strain off solids through a fine strainer or cheese cloth and retain the cranberry shrub liquid.
ORANGE BLOSSOM SIMPLE SYRUP
1 3/4 cup water
1/4 cup orange blossom water
1 cup cane sugar
Combine all ingredients and bring to a low boil until sugar is dissolved. Let cool, bottle, then refrigerate.
1. Combine gin, shrub, and simple syrup in a shaker, add ice, then shake.
2. Strain into a martini glass.
3. Garnish with a lemon twist and a sprig of rosemary.